Breaking Chains was named a finalist in the Oregon Book Awards, in the Frances Fuller Victor Award for General Nonfiction category. Winners will be named at the Oregon Book Awards Ceremony at the Gerding Theater at the Armory in Portland on Monday, March 17, 2014. Award-winning author Luís Alberto Urrea will host the ceremony.
- R. Gregory Nokes of West Linn, Breaking Chains (OSU Press)
- C. B. Bernard of Portland, Chasing Alaska (Lyons Press)
- William J. Bernstein of Portland, Masters of the Word (Grove Press)
- Paul Collins of Portland, Duel with the Devil (Crown Publishers)
- Martin N. Raitiere of Portland, The Complicity of Friends (Bucknell University Press)