Slavery and Oregon are not often talked about in the same sentence, nor even the same conversation. Yet, journalist and historian Greg Nokes uncovered this little known history of slaves in Oregon in his book, Breaking Chains. He discusses his work HERE.
- Books in Common: R. Gregory Nokes and Jane Kirkpatrick
- The Oregonian — Opinion: Oregon’s racist history runs deeper than you might think
- Peter Hardeman Burnett’s Short but Notorious Judicial Legacy
- Pacific Northwest Quarterly book review
- CROSSCUT: Yes, there were black slaves in the Pacific Northwest.